Molecular Stethoscope is an early-stage molecular diagnostics company engaged in transcriptomic research and development in San Diego, California. Our mission is to improve patient health through the development of cutting-edge molecular tests. We are looking for an associate bioinformatics scientist with strong programming skills and good understanding of molecular biology. He/she will work closely with the assay team both to provide bioinformatics support and develop novel analysis algorithms. Additional duties will include mining and analyzing publically available molecular and clinical databases. The successful candidate is expected to conduct his/her job responsibilities with a high degree of urgency, accuracy and professionalism.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Build pipelines for NGS analysis
- Provide statistical/data analysis support for experimentalists
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Being able to work in an evolving landscape where new biological data is being generated at a rapid pace
- Ability to work as part of a multifunctional team: being able to advise technical team members in clear language about the implications of their work, to excel at making complex concepts simple and easy to understand, and to collaborate on experimental design and strategy
- In summary, you have to desire a fast paced, test-driven, collaborative and iterative environment as a team member and area leader
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE
- MS in bioinformatics or computer science with strong background in molecular biology. BS with 2+ years of experience will also be considered.
TECHNICAL SKILL SETS REQUIREMENTS
- Proficiency in using scripting language such as Python or Perl
- Comfortable in unix environment and BASH, experience with computing clusters such as SGE a plus
- Experience with a statistical programming language such R or SPSS
- Familiarity with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres
- Ability to provide visualization of complex/high dimensional data using tools like ggbio, ggplot and d3.js
- Understanding of methods commonly used in machine learning for classification and regression
- Good understanding of basic statistics for data analysis and experimental design
- Strong understanding of molecular biology
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits program that includes stock options, vacation and sick pay, medical/dental insurance, and 401(k).
Molecular Stethoscope is an Equal Opportunity Employer.